Monday Night Crock Pot Chicken Tacos

Crock Pot Chicken Tacos
Around our house, Mondays tend to be pretty hectic.  Since we had already planned to go for a walk on the gorgeous Black Creek trail near my house with my sister and nephew, I knew I had better put something in the crock pot for dinner.  Usually, I make the normal everyday ground beef tacos, but I was in the mood for something a little different today.   The recipe I have for you is something I came up with that was literally zero effort.  I put my chicken in the crock pot with my taco seasoning and left it all day to simmer into deliciousness.  After our walk, all I had to do was prep the veggies to go with the tacos and quickly make some beans and rice.  I cannot lie . . . the beans were canned re-fried beans and the rice was a mix that my good friend Angie, you may remember her from my lasagna post, had given me to try out.  They were tasty as well but honestly, it would not have taken any longer to make the beans and rice from scratch. Luckily, I found some saffron on sale so I have replenished my stash.  I will be making some saffron rice soon!  Until then, try this recipe especially if you are pressed for time.  Hope you enjoy!

Crock Pot Chicken Tacos

Ingredients
Taco Toppings
  • 2 pounds Boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • 1 Tablespoon Cumin
  • 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
  • 1 Tablespoon Onion Flakes (or 1 Finely Chopped Onion)
  • 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
  • 1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes`
  • 1 Tablespoon Salt
  • 1 Cup Water
  • 1 - 2 cups Chopped Lettuce
  • 1 - 2 Small Tomatoes
  • 1/2 - 1 Cup Shredded Cheese
  • 1 Cup Sour Cream
  • 1 Cup Salsa
  • 2 Ripe Avocados, in slices or chunks
  • 1 Lime or Lemon, juiced
  • Soft Corn Tortillas
Cooking Directions
  1. Place chicken in crock pot.
  2. Mix the cumin, chili powder, onion flakes, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and salt together and sprinkle over the chicken.
  3. Add 1 Cup water and stir well.
  4. Turn crock pot on low and cook for 8 hours.
  5. Before serving use tongs to shred chicken. Check and adjust salt.
  6. Heat the tortillas in an oven pre-heated to about 250 for 4-5 minutes if desired.
  7. Cut the avocados and squeeze with lime or lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
  8. Arrange lettuce, tomato, avocados, cheese, sour cream and salsa for serving.

Labels: , , , ,