Wouldn't you love to serve something as visually appealing as it is tasty at your next party? In a few simple steps, you can take store bought or homemade yogurt and turn it into labneh or yogurt cheese.
Labneh can be used in place of ricotta or other soft cheeses. It has a mild yet tangy flavor and you can adjust the firmness yourself by straining it more or less. Labneh is eaten by many at breakfast with some mint and red pepper flakes sprinkled on top or spread on bread with honey or preserves. You can also make it into little balls and place in a glass jar and cover with olive oil. If you were having a party, you could serve it with a little olive oil and zatar along with some toasted pita chips.
The process of making Yogurt Cheese is very simple. Follow these simple steps to make your own:
|Yogurt being strained. Half-way finished. Yogurt Cheese|
Yogurt Cheese or Labneh
- 2 Cups Yogurt
- Place a mesh strainer over a bowl deep enough to hold several cups of liquid.
- Place clean cheese cloth over the strainer
- Pour in the store bought or homemade yogurt, how much depends on you - you can make as much or as little as you want
- Gently drape the cheese cloth over the top to prevent drying out I also place a lid lightly over mine but it is optional
- Put in the fridge and leave to strain for 3-4 hours
- Transfer to serving dish or roll into balls and cover with olive oil